Something to inspire and encourage.
This 'poem' was shared today on our last day of SAMmy's during brunch...with a bunch of beautiful ladies...who are all moms.
If I Had My Life To Live Over
by Erma Bombeck
The following was written by the late Erma Bombeck
after she found out she had a fatal disease.
If I had my life to live over, I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more while watching life.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love you's".. More "I'm sorrys" ...
But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute... look at it and really see it ... live it...and never give it back.
© Erma Bombeck
The life changing part.
Today was the last day of SAMmy's until fall. For those of you who don't know what it is...it stands for Strength Among Moms ministry. It is a group of Moms all ages, we meet every Wednesday morning @ 9:30. I was kind of sad, I rely on this special time to connect; connect with God Himself along with my spiritual "sisters." I love it, more than I have words to express. I am so glad that SAMmy's has become a part of my routine, but even more than that, it is a part of who I am. God has revealed so much to me through SAMmy's.
A few weeks ago my friend and director of the SAMmy's Eau Claire group, after much thought and prayer asked if I would be interested in joining the leadership team next year. A million emotions overwhelmed me the moment I read that email. I thought ME? WHY ME? What do I possibly have to offer? Out of all of the women that could serve in this ministry and have walked with God for so many years and He chose me? I was excited, flattered, insecure, nervous and most of all humbled...I had no clue what God was thinking...calling me to this ministry. It was my first year...all of these logical human thoughts filled my head. I surrendered immediately to prayer; on my knees, crying out to God and praying for a sign. Not like a "Oh that must be a sign" I was asking for a "Hit me like a ton of bricks" kind of a sign; one that I would know for sure was of God and couldn't ignore. Well needless to say, I got more than one obvious sign. Isn't that just like 'my' God to give me more than one; He is so faithful! So, over a yummy coffee drink and great conversation, I humbly excepted my new role in this amazing ministry. I am so, so grateful to be given this GIFT. For those of you who pray for me...I could use some special prayer on this one. This is life changing for me...I will be a "group leader" that is terrifying but so exciting to think about; terrifying because I love to be behind the scenes or on the sidelines. I love to slip in and out of church...I know I step out and share a little with all of you, but I am in the comfort of home and hiding behind my PC. It's my style...and I really don't deserve any credit, it's just me doing what I do...I love to give the Glory to God; it's exciting because I could make a difference by serving and ultimately change someones life.
If there is one thing I can say to encourage or help women out there or reading, is to get involved; get involved in something that you believe in. It will not only make you a better person, it WILL change your life!
God is real, He will take you places you never in a million years would have even imagined you would be!
Blessings to you this week.
Happy Wednesday!
2 comments:
Jen,
I am so proud of you. I love how you are surrendering your whole self to be used by Him. He will equip you. We're all works in progress. I'm just so thankful to have wonderful friends to share this journey with. Looking forward to spending time with you next fall at SAMmy's. ***HUGS****
I am so excited for you to be a SAMmys leader next year! You will do a fantastic job and will inspire your group to walk closer to Jesus by sharing your faith and heart! Congrats:)
Post a Comment