Sunday, June 26, 2011

Victory is sweet.

So, I rarely ever post anything about racing. Ever. And, I am sitting here wondering why.? Ashley and I have been together for ten years and racing was once our way of life in earlier years. My, how far we've come. Ashley started Racer's Racing Supplies and then went on to build Gator Chassis. He had a parts trailer where he sold parts at the track and a two seat late model that he gave rides in, he built racing haulers and trailers and on and on and on. Racing was not only our hobby it was our lively hood. Their was no time for anything else. Spending every weekend of the summer at a race track and every week of the off season getting ready for the next one. It was a crazy fun time! Until we had kids...

In 2005, a month before Avery and Tate were born; Ashley sold the racing business and the chassi business and everything that went with it. He made a life changing decision to join in the family business 'Anderson Bridges' started by his dad John years ago. It was the best thing that we ever did; for many reasons but mostly for our family.

I grew up watching my dad race. I raced go-carts. I married a race car driver. My brother is a race car driver. I guess you could say it is in my blood or an acquired taste rather. I like. I will say it again, I like racing. It is a family oriented sport, for the most part. However, there are so many other things in life and we are finding great joy! I am a firm believer and preacher of "everything in moderation" too much of one thing is never a good thing ! We have come to realize that racing is still an important part of who we are. But as we age and continue our journey as a family, we are always changing. This is Ashley's 20th year racing and I can see it in him from time to time, he is becoming more at peace with being done . I, more than him want our kids to grow up watching their daddy race . God's plan tends to get in the way of racing sometimes. But, last night was proof of why we do what we do! All of the time, money and work invested; trying to staying married while raising four young kids and racing can be is a challenge; it all paid off : ) Avery and Tate clung to my legs in the stands cheering on their car, the yellow #81; screaming at the top of their lungs with excitement. Avery and Tate are still moving the trophy around the house, holding it looking at it and talking about the win! It will eventually find it's place somewhere in their room. How proud they are of their daddy! I am too. A special night for our family ! He took the lead on the last corner of the last lap to take the checkerd flag!

The night just kept getting better when we got the news that there was another feature winner who is near and dear to our hearts. Although we couldn't be at Rice Lake to cheer on our black #22jr, he is always in our thoughts and prayers. We love him and we are so proud of my brother Ben a.k.a. Uncle Benny. Way to go 22! Though racing doesn't consume our life; the victory sure is sweet.


Eric, Tate, Ashley and Avery in Victory Lane at Cedar Lake Speedway in New Richmond, WI

 Ben Hillman, feature win at Rice Lake Speedway in Rice Lake, WI
 

No comments: